Pickleball, a fun and fast-paced racquet sport that combines elements of tennis, badminton, and ping pong, has been
gaining popularity worldwide.
Whether you’re a seasoned pickleball player or a beginner eager to dive into the game, one crucial aspect of your gear
often overlooked is the right pair of shoes.
In this article, we’ll explore the importance of selecting the best shoes for pickleball and provide guidance on what to
look for to enhance your on-court performance.
The Importance of Pickleball-Specific Shoes
Investing in proper pickleball shoes is a game-changer for players of all skill levels. Here’s why they matter:
1. Traction Pickleball is played on various surfaces, including indoor courts, outdoor courts, and even gymnasium
floors. The right shoes provide excellent traction to prevent slips and falls, allowing you to make quick lateral
movements with confidence.
2. Support The lateral movements and quick changes in direction inherent to pickleball can put stress on your
ankles and knees. Pickleball shoes offer the support and stability needed to protect against injuries and provide
comfort during extended play.
3. Durability Pickleball-specific shoes are designed to withstand the specific demands of the sport, ensuring they
last longer than regular sneakers. They often have reinforced areas to prevent premature wear and tear.
4. Comfort Comfort is crucial for any sport, and pickleball is no exception. Properly cushioned shoes with
breathable materials will keep your feet comfortable throughout your matches.
5. Grip The right shoes offer a balance between grip and slide, allowing you to execute precise shots and movements
without getting stuck to the court surface.
What to Look for in Pickleball Shoes
Now that we understand the importance of pickleball shoes, let’s explore the key features to consider when choosing
the best pair:
1. Court Type Determine whether you primarily play on indoor or outdoor courts. Indoor court shoes typically have
smoother soles for better grip, while outdoor court shoes have more durable outsoles designed to handle rougher
2. Traction Pattern Look for shoes with non-marking, gum rubber soles and a herringbone or modified
herringbone tread pattern. This design offers excellent grip and allows for quick lateral movements.
3. Support Seek shoes with ample ankle support and cushioning in the midsole to absorb shock and reduce the risk
of injury. Some shoes may have reinforced areas around the toes and sides for added protection.
4. Fit and Sizing Ensure a snug but not too tight fit to prevent blisters and discomfort. Check if the brand’s sizing
aligns with your foot shape and width.
5. Breathability Pickleball shoes with breathable materials and moisture-wicking properties will keep your feet
cool and dry during intense matches.
6. Weight Lightweight shoes allow for agility and quick movements, which are essential in pickleball.
7. Budget There are pickleball shoes available for various budgets, so determine how much you’re willing to invest
in your footwear. Keep in mind that quality shoes often last longer and provide better performance.
Top Pickleball Shoe Brands
Several reputable brands offer high-quality pickleball-specific shoes, including:
1. ASICS Known for their comfort and durability, ASICS pickleball shoes are popular among players.
2. Mizuno Mizuno offers shoes designed with pickleball’s lateral movements in mind, providing excellent support and stability.
3. Babolat Babolat’s pickleball shoes are recognized for their grip and traction on the court.
4. New Balance New Balance manufactures a range of pickleball shoes with various features to cater to different