Summer is a great time to be outdoors and enjoy the warm weather, but it can also be a challenge to stay cool and comfortable in the HEAT.
But, you can beat the heat by choosing the right clothing.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best shirts for summer heat to help you stay cool and comfortable all season long.
Performance t-shirts are a great option for summer heat because they’re made of moisture-wicking fabric that pulls sweat away from your skin, helping you stay dry and comfortable. Many performance t-shirts also have anti-odor technology that helps prevent the buildup of bacteria that can cause unpleasant smells. Look for t-shirts made of breathable materials like polyester or nylon that allow for airflow and ventilation.
Linen is a lightweight, breathable fabric that’s perfect for hot weather. Linen shirts are typically loose-fitting, which allows for airflow and ventilation. They also have a natural texture that gives them a stylish, laid-back look. Keep in mind that linen does wrinkle easily, but that’s part of the fabric’s charm.
Chambray shirts are a great alternative to denim in the summer. They’re made of a lightweight cotton fabric that’s woven in a way that gives it a subtle texture and a softer feel than denim. Chambray shirts are versatile and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
Cotton polo shirts are a classic summer staple that never goes out of style. They’re made of breathable cotton fabric that’s comfortable and lightweight, and the collared neckline gives them a more dressed-up look than a t-shirt. Polo shirts come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you can find one that suits your personal style.
Hawaiian shirts are the ultimate summer shirt. They’re made of lightweight, breathable fabric and typically feature bright colors and bold prints that evoke a tropical vibe. Hawaiian shirts are perfect for beach vacations or backyard barbecues, and they’re sure to put you in a festive mood.
There are many great options for shirts that are perfect for summer heat. Whether you prefer performance t-shirts, linen shirts, chambray shirts, cotton polo shirts, or Hawaiian shirts, the most important thing is to choose a shirt that’s made of breathable fabric that allows for airflow and ventilation. With the right shirt, you can stay cool and comfortable all summer long.
Be sure to check out our article on the Best Mens Fishing Hat
How do I choose the right size for my summer shirt?
When choosing the right size for your summer shirt, it’s important to consider both the fit and the style of the shirt. Here are some tips to help you find the perfect size:
- Take your measurements: Use a tape measure to get accurate measurements of your chest, waist, and hips. Compare your measurements to the size chart provided by the brand to determine your size.
- Consider the fit: Summer shirts come in a variety of fits, including slim, regular, and relaxed. Consider the type of fit that you prefer and look for shirts that match your preferences.
- Check the fabric: Different fabrics may fit differently, so it’s important to check the fabric of the shirt before purchasing. For example, cotton tends to shrink after washing, so you may want to consider sizing up if you plan to wash your shirt regularly.
- Try it on: If possible, try the shirt on before purchasing to ensure the best fit. If you’re shopping online, look for brands with generous return policies so you can return the shirt if it doesn’t fit properly.
Remember that the perfect fit may vary depending on your personal style and preferences. Some people prefer a looser fit for a relaxed summer look, while others prefer a more tailored fit for a sleeker appearance. Choose the size that makes you feel comfortable and confident.
Are there any specific colors or patterns that are better for hot weather?
Yes, some colors and patterns are better suited for hot weather than others. Here are some suggestions:
- Light colors: Lighter colors reflect more sunlight, making them cooler to wear in hot weather. Colors like white, beige, light gray, and pastel shades are great options.
- Breathable fabrics: Fabrics that allow for air circulation, such as cotton, linen, and rayon, are ideal for hot weather. They are lightweight, absorb sweat, and dry quickly.
- Avoid dark colors: Dark colors absorb more sunlight, making them hotter to wear in the sun. Black, navy, and other dark colors should be avoided in hot weather.
- Avoid heavy fabrics: Heavy fabrics like wool and thick cotton should be avoided in hot weather. They can trap heat and make you feel uncomfortable.
- Floral prints: Floral prints are popular for summer clothing because they are light and airy. They can also add a fun and playful touch to your outfit.
What type of collar is best for staying cool in the summer?
A camp collar (also known as a Cuban collar or revere collar) is a great option for staying cool in the summer. This style of collar has an open, wide shape that sits flat against the shoulders and chest. It is often seen on short-sleeved shirts and is associated with a retro, vintage style.
Camp collars allow for more air circulation around the neck and chest, which helps to keep you cool in hot weather. They are also more relaxed and casual than traditional collars, making them a perfect option for summertime outings and events.
Another option is a mandarin collar, which is a small stand-up collar that does not fold down. This collar style is often seen on traditional Chinese and East Asian garments, but has also been adapted for modern clothing. It is a great choice for those who prefer a more structured collar, but still want to stay cool in the summer.
Can I wear long-sleeve shirts in the summer, or are short-sleeve shirts better?
Yes, you can wear long-sleeve shirts in the summer, but it’s important to choose the right fabrics and colors. Here are some tips to help you decide:
- Choose lightweight and breathable fabrics: Cotton, linen, and rayon are great options for summer shirts because they are lightweight and breathable. They allow air to circulate and help to wick sweat away from your body, keeping you cool and dry.
- Look for moisture-wicking technology: Some fabrics have moisture-wicking technology that pulls sweat away from your skin, which helps to keep you cool and dry. Look for shirts that have this technology if you’re worried about getting too sweaty in a long-sleeve shirt.
- Choose loose-fitting shirts: Tight-fitting clothes can trap heat and make you feel uncomfortable in the summer. Look for shirts that are loose-fitting and allow air to circulate around your body.
Short-sleeve shirts are a popular choice for summer because they are inherently cooler than long-sleeve shirts. However, if you prefer the style or sun protection that comes with a long-sleeve shirt, there are options available that can keep you comfortable in the heat.
Are there any specific brands that are known for making great summer shirts?
There are many brands that make great summer shirts, and the best one for you will depend on your personal style and preferences.
Here are a few brands that are known for making high-quality and stylish summer shirts:
- J.Crew: J.Crew offers a wide range of summer shirts, including linen and cotton options that are perfect for staying cool in the heat. Their shirts come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you can find one that suits your style.
- Patagonia: Patagonia is known for their outdoor gear, and their summer shirts are no exception. Their shirts are made with lightweight and breathable fabrics that are perfect for outdoor activities in the summer.
- Bonobos: Bonobos offers a variety of summer shirts, including short-sleeve button-ups and polo shirts. Their shirts are made with high-quality fabrics and come in a variety of fun colors and patterns.
- Tommy Bahama: Tommy Bahama is known for their tropical-inspired clothing, and their summer shirts are perfect for a beach vacation or backyard BBQ. Their shirts are made with lightweight fabrics and feature fun prints and patterns.
- Uniqlo: Uniqlo offers affordable and stylish summer shirts, including linen and cotton options. Their shirts come in a variety of colors and patterns and are perfect for casual summer outings.
Can I wear a summer shirt for outdoor activities like hiking or camping?
Yes, you can wear a summer shirt for outdoor activities like hiking or camping. However, it’s important to choose a shirt that is made with moisture-wicking and quick-drying fabrics that will keep you cool and comfortable during physical activity. Look for shirts made with materials like polyester, nylon, or blends of these fabrics, as they are lightweight, breathable, and have moisture-wicking properties.
You should also consider the fit of the shirt. Choose a shirt that fits comfortably and allows for a full range of motion. A loose-fitting shirt can help promote airflow and keep you cooler in the heat.
In addition, consider the color of your shirt. Lighter colors like white, beige, or pastels can help reflect sunlight and keep you cooler, while darker colors like black or navy can absorb heat and make you feel warmer.
How do I care for my summer shirt to make sure it lasts all season long?
To ensure your summer shirt lasts all season long, there are a few things you can do to care for it properly:
- Check the care label: Before washing your summer shirt, always check the care label to ensure you are following the manufacturer’s instructions. Some shirts may need to be washed in cold water or on a delicate cycle, while others may require hand washing.
- Use a gentle detergent: Use a gentle laundry detergent to wash your summer shirt, as harsh detergents can damage the fabric and cause it to lose its color or shape.
- Avoid using bleach: Avoid using bleach on your summer shirt, as it can weaken the fibers and cause the fabric to yellow or become discolored.
- Hang to dry: To avoid shrinking or damaging the fabric, hang your summer shirt to dry rather than putting it in the dryer. If you must use a dryer, use a low heat setting.
- Store properly: When storing your summer shirt, make sure it is clean and dry. Avoid hanging it in direct sunlight or in a damp area, as this can cause the fabric to fade or develop mildew.
By following these tips, you can help extend the life of your summer shirt and keep it looking great all season long.