Outdoor watches are a must-have accessory for outdoor enthusiasts, hikers, and adventurers. They come in various styles and designs, with varying features and price points.
However, not everyone has a big budget to splurge on an expensive outdoor watch.
Luckily, several affordable options in the market offer a wide range of features and functionalities.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best outdoor watches under $100.
The Casio Men’s SGW100B-3V is a versatile watch that comes with multiple features such as a thermometer, compass, world time, and an LED backlight. It is also water-resistant up to 200 meters, making it ideal for water sports and outdoor activities. The watch has a durable resin case and strap, which makes it resistant to damage from impacts and scratches. It also has a stopwatch, countdown timer, and 5 daily alarms. The Casio Men’s SGW100B-3V is an excellent choice for those who want a watch that can handle various outdoor activities.
The Timex Expedition Field Chronograph is a classic and stylish watch that is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. It features a durable brass case and leather strap that can withstand harsh conditions. The watch is water-resistant up to 100 meters and has a chronograph function that can measure up to 1/20th of a second. It also has a date function, an Indiglo night light, and is available in several color options. The Timex Expedition Field Chronograph is an excellent option for those who want a reliable and stylish watch that can handle outdoor adventures.
The Armitron Sport Men’s 40/8284 Digital Chronograph Watch is an affordable option that is packed with features. It has a large digital display, chronograph, alarm, and countdown timer. It is also water-resistant up to 100 meters and has a durable resin case and strap. The watch has a sleek and modern design and is available in several color options. The Armitron Sport Men’s 40/8284 Digital Chronograph Watch is perfect for those who want a feature-packed watch that won’t break the bank.
The SUUNTO Core All Black is a high-quality watch that comes with multiple features such as a barometer, altimeter, and compass. It is also water-resistant up to 30 meters and has a durable aluminum case and elastomer strap. The watch is sleek and stylish and is available in several color options. The SUUNTO Core All Black is perfect for those who want a high-quality and reliable watch that can handle various outdoor activities.
In conclusion, these are some of the best outdoor watches under $100. They are affordable, feature-packed, and durable, making them an excellent choice for outdoor enthusiasts. Whether you’re hiking, camping, or engaging in water sports, these watches are designed to keep up with your active lifestyle.
What are outdoor watches, and what makes them different from regular watches?
Outdoor watches, also known as sports watches or adventure watches, are timepieces specifically designed for outdoor enthusiasts and athletes. They typically have a range of features that are specifically tailored to support outdoor activities, such as hiking, climbing, running, swimming, and cycling.
The main differences between outdoor watches and regular watches are the features and functionality they offer. Outdoor watches often come with features such as GPS, compass, altimeter, barometer, heart rate monitor, and step tracker. They may also be equipped with specific sports modes, training plans, and fitness tracking features.
Additionally, outdoor watches are usually built with durable materials that can withstand harsh conditions, such as shock, water, and extreme temperatures. They may also have longer battery life than regular watches, especially those with GPS and other advanced features.
What features should I look for when buying an outdoor watch?
When buying an outdoor watch, there are several features that you should consider, depending on the activities you’ll be engaging in. Here are some of the most important features to look for in an outdoor watch:
- Durability: Look for a watch that is made of durable materials and can withstand harsh conditions, such as shock, water, and extreme temperatures.
- Water Resistance: If you’ll be engaging in water sports or activities, look for a watch with a high level of water resistance, such as 100 meters or more.
- GPS: A built-in GPS allows you to track your location and distance traveled, which is especially useful for hiking, running, or cycling.
- Compass: A built-in compass helps you navigate and orient yourself, especially when you’re in unfamiliar terrain.
- Altimeter: An altimeter measures your altitude, which is helpful for hiking, mountaineering, and other activities that involve changes in elevation.
- Barometer: A barometer measures changes in air pressure, which can help you predict changes in weather conditions.
- Heart Rate Monitor: A heart rate monitor helps you track your heart rate during exercise and can be used to monitor your fitness level and progress.
- Fitness Tracking: Some watches come with features that track your daily steps, calories burned, and other fitness metrics.
- Battery Life: Look for a watch with a long battery life, especially if you’ll be using GPS or other power-intensive features.
- Display: Consider the size and clarity of the watch display, as well as whether it is easy to read in various lighting conditions.
Are outdoor watches durable and able to withstand harsh conditions?
Yes, outdoor watches are designed to be durable and able to withstand harsh conditions. Outdoor watches are often built with tough materials such as stainless steel, titanium, or reinforced plastic, which makes them more resistant to shock, scratches, and other types of damage.
In addition to the materials used in their construction, outdoor watches often have specialized coatings or seals to protect against water, dust, and other environmental factors. For example, many outdoor watches have a high level of water resistance, which allows them to be used for swimming, diving, and other water sports. Some models are even designed to withstand extreme temperatures or pressure.
Of course, the level of durability and resilience of an outdoor watch may vary depending on the specific model and brand. It’s important to research the watch you are interested in and read reviews from other users who have tested its durability in various conditions.
Can I use an outdoor watch for water sports, and what level of water resistance should I look for?
Yes, many outdoor watches can be used for water sports and activities, such as swimming, snorkeling, and even diving. However, the level of water resistance you need depends on the specific activities you’ll be engaging in.
Here are the water resistance ratings commonly used for watches:
- 30 meters (3 ATM): Suitable for everyday use, but not recommended for water exposure.
- 50 meters (5 ATM): Suitable for showering and swimming in shallow water.
- 100 meters (10 ATM): Suitable for swimming and snorkeling, but not for diving.
- 200 meters (20 ATM): Suitable for scuba diving and other water sports.
When looking for an outdoor watch for water sports, it’s important to choose one that has a water resistance rating that matches the level of water exposure you’ll be experiencing. For example, if you’ll be swimming and snorkeling in shallow water, a watch with a water resistance rating of 50 meters should be sufficient. However, if you plan on scuba diving, a watch with a rating of at least 200 meters is recommended.
It’s also important to note that water resistance ratings are not permanent and can degrade over time due to wear and tear or exposure to extreme temperatures. Therefore, it’s important to maintain and care for your watch properly to ensure that it remains water-resistant.
What types of activities are outdoor watches suitable for?
Outdoor watches are suitable for a wide range of outdoor activities, including:
- Hiking: Outdoor watches with GPS, altimeter, and compass features are particularly useful for hiking, as they can help you track your location, altitude, and direction.
- Running: Outdoor watches with GPS and heart rate monitor features are ideal for runners who want to track their distance, pace, and heart rate.
- Cycling: Outdoor watches with GPS and cycling modes can help cyclists track their distance, speed, and elevation.
- Swimming and water sports: Outdoor watches with high levels of water resistance are suitable for swimming, snorkeling, and other water sports.
- Mountaineering: Outdoor watches with altimeter, barometer, and compass features are particularly useful for mountaineering, as they can help you navigate and predict changes in weather conditions.
- Triathlon: Outdoor watches with multisport modes are ideal for triathletes who need to track their performance across multiple sports, such as swimming, cycling, and running.
- Fitness and training: Outdoor watches with fitness tracking features, such as step counting and calorie tracking, are ideal for those who want to monitor their fitness and track their progress over time.
Overall, outdoor watches are designed to support a wide range of outdoor activities and sports. The specific features and functionality of each watch will depend on the brand and model, so it’s important to choose a watch that meets your specific needs and requirements.