Bear Grylls is a well-known adventurer, survivalist, and TV personality who has collaborated with Gerber Gear to create a range of outdoor products, including the Bear Grylls Hatchet.
Here are some features and benefits of the Bear Grylls Hatchet that make it a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts:
- Compact and Lightweight: The Bear Grylls Hatchet is designed to be tight and lightweight, making it easy to carry on backpacking or camping trips. It weighs just 1.4 pounds and has a total length of 9.46 inches, making it easy to pack in a backpack or attach to a belt loop.
- Durable Construction: The Bear Grylls Hatchet is made with high-quality materials, including a full-tang, high-carbon steel blade that is durable and sharp. The blade is coated with a black oxide finish to protect against corrosion and wear.
- Ergonomic Grip: The hatchet’s handle is designed with an ergonomic grip, which provides a comfortable and secure hold, even when using the hatchet for extended periods. The handle is made of a textured rubber, which also helps to reduce slippage and enhance grip.
- Multifunctional Design: The Bear Grylls Hatchet is not just a simple hatchet. It also features a crosshatched striking surface on the back of the head, which can be used for pounding stakes or other campsite tasks. The hatchet also comes with a nylon sheath with a belt loop for easy carrying.
- Affordable: Despite its high-quality construction and durable design, the Bear Grylls Hatchet is an affordable option compared to other hatchets on the market. This makes it an excellent choice for outdoor enthusiasts who want a reliable and functional hatchet without breaking the bank.
Is the Bear Grylls Hatchet easy to sharpen?
The Bear Grylls Hatchet’s high-carbon steel blade is relatively easy to sharpen. The blade’s edge is beveled, which means that it can be sharpened using a sharpening stone or other sharpening tool. Gerber Gear recommends using a sharpening stone to maintain the blade’s sharpness. The black oxide coating on the blade can also be removed using fine-grit sandpaper if necessary.
What kind of tasks is the Bear Grylls Hatchet best suited for?
The Bear Grylls Hatchet is best suited for light to medium tasks such as chopping small branches, splitting kindling, and processing small game. It’s not designed for heavy-duty tasks like felling trees or splitting large logs, but it’s a great choice for smaller tasks around the campsite.
Can the Bear Grylls Hatchet be used for splitting wood?
While the Bear Grylls Hatchet is not specifically designed for splitting wood, it can be used for light-splitting tasks like splitting kindling. However, it’s important to note that the hatchet’s small size and lightweight construction make it less efficient for splitting larger logs. For heavier splitting tasks, a larger and heavier axe would be a better choice.
Is the Bear Grylls Hatchet legal to carry in all states/countries?
The legality of carrying a hatchet or any bladed tool varies by state and country. It’s important to check the local laws and regulations before carrying any bladed tool. In general, a hatchet with a blade length of 4 inches or less is legal to carry in most states and countries for outdoor activities such as camping and hiking.
What is the warranty on the Bear Grylls Hatchet?
Gerber Gear offers a limited lifetime warranty on the Bear Grylls Hatchet. The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the product. If the hatchet fails due to a manufacturing defect, Gerber Gear will repair or replace the product free of charge. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or misuse of the product.
Be sure to check out our article on Freyr Axes